Delegates from Batasan Hills participated in a post evaluation of the joint inspection of septic tanks on June 13, 2016 (Monday) from 1:30 to 5:00 PM at the Lecture Room A, Legislative Building, Quezon City (QC) Hall. The team is comprised of Captain John “Jojo” M. Abad, Mr. Paul “Arepee” H. Zapata (barangay coordinator for “Kalinisan ng Katubigan sa Kyusi” or KKK), Mrs. Araceli “Aging” O. Lincuna and Purok (Area) Leader Armando “Mando” Cabaltera (both are Health and Sanitation Committee personnel).
The assessment tackled the roles of the barangay as a unit of government in the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG)’s Manila Bay Clean-up, Rehabilitation and Preservation (MBCRP) program which kicked off in October of the year 2014.
Capt. Abad stepped up in reporting the projects his governance has in place in continuous efforts and support to MBCRP. To wit,
1) Regular inspections of septic tanks all over the residential and commercial areas;
2) Wide-spread orientations in the community about safe-keeping of septic tanks;
3) Barangay employees and volunteers’ clean-up drives every Saturday;
4) A handful of clean-up drives with representatives from DILG and the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR;
5) Relocation of informal settlers who held abode less than three meters away from Paltok Creek;
6) Concreting the surroundings of Paltok Creek;
7) Continuous riprapping of Paltok Creek; and,
8) Free septic tank evacuation and repair for residents living near Paltok Creek (Freedom Park I to Kasunduan Street, in particular).
Also present in the assembly were officials from other barangays in QC.
Written by Aphrodite
Photos taken by Arepee Zapata